Skip to main content

The Capture of the Son of Sam


New York City in Terror

In the summer of 1976, the city of New York was on edge as a serial killer known as the "Son of Sam" terrorized residents with a string of brutal murders. The killer, who was later revealed to be David Berkowitz, went on a year-long killing spree that left six people dead and several others injured.

The case captivated the nation and became one of the most high-profile criminal investigations in American history. Let's take a look back at the capture of the Son of Sam and the events leading up to it.

The Murder Spree

The Son of Sam's killing spree began on July 29, 1976, when 18-year-old Donna Lauria was shot to death while sitting in her car with her friend Jody Valenti. Over the next year, the killer went on to claim five more victims, all of whom were young women with dark hair.

The murders were particularly gruesome and were committed with a .44 caliber Bulldog revolver. The killer would typically stalk his victims before shooting them in the head or neck at close range.

The police initially had no leads and the case quickly became a priority for the New York City Police Department (NYPD). As the murders continued, the city was gripped with fear and the media began calling the killer the "Son of Sam" after a note left at one of the crime scenes referred to a demon named Sam.

The Investigation

The investigation into the Son of Sam murders was led by NYPD detective Joe Coffey. As the case progressed, the police received thousands of tips, but none of them led to a solid suspect. However, in the spring of 1977, they received a letter from someone claiming to be the Son of Sam. The letter was addressed to the police and was postmarked from Brooklyn.

The contents of the letter provided several key clues, including a description of the killer's car, which led the police to focus their investigation on the neighborhood of Brooklyn. The police also began to pay close attention to parking ticket violations in the area.

The police started noticing a pattern in the murders. All the victims were young women with dark hair, and the murders were all committed with a .44 caliber Bulldog revolver. They also believed that the killer was someone who was familiar with the area, as the murders all occurred in the same geographic location.

Another important lead came from a witness who saw a man leaving the scene of one of the murders. The witness was able to provide a detailed description of the man and the car he was driving. This description matched the one provided in the letter, and the police were able to trace the car to an apartment building in Yonkers.

The police investigated the residents of the apartment building, and they soon focused their attention on David Berkowitz. He fit the profile of the killer and had a car that matched the description provided by the witness. The police began to surveil Berkowitz and eventually found enough evidence to make an arrest.

The police investigation was meticulous and thorough, and it was this attention to detail that eventually led to the capture of the Son of Sam. The police followed every lead and never gave up until they found the killer.

The Arrest

On August 10, 1977, David Berkowitz was arrested outside his apartment in Yonkers, New York. The police had been staking out the area after receiving a tip that someone matching Berkowitz's description was seen in the vicinity of one of the murders. When they saw Berkowitz leaving his apartment, they followed him and arrested him without incident.

During the arrest, police found a .44 caliber Bulldog revolver in Berkowitz's car, along with a map of the crime scenes and letters addressed to the police and the media, claiming responsibility for the murders. Berkowitz also had a diary in which he detailed his crimes and the orders he claimed to receive from a neighbor's dog.

Berkowitz was taken into custody and immediately confessed to the murders. He provided a detailed account of his crimes, including the motives behind them. He stated that he had been receiving orders from a neighbor's dog, which he believed was possessed by a demon named Sam. He explained that he had been carrying out the orders to kill in order to please the demon and gain its favor.

The arrest of David Berkowitz was a huge relief for the city of New York and the nation as a whole. The capture of the Son of Sam brought an end to a year-long killing spree that had left the city on edge. The police were finally able to bring the killer to justice and bring peace to the community. It was a true testament to the power of good police work and the importance of not giving up in the face of evil.


David Berkowitz's capture and subsequent conviction brought an end to one of the most terrifying crime sprees in American history. The case had a profound impact on the city of New York and on the nation as a whole. It also brought attention to the issue of serial killers and the need for better methods of detecting and apprehending them.

The media coverage of the case was intense, and it made the name "Son of Sam" synonymous with fear and terror. The case was also notable for the large number of letters that Berkowitz sent to the police and the media, in which he claimed responsibility for the murders and provided insight into his motives and mental state.

The case brought attention to the issue of criminal insanity and the question of whether or not Berkowitz was legally responsible for his actions. His defense team argued that he was suffering from a mental illness and that he was not capable of distinguishing right from wrong.

However, the prosecution argued that he was aware of his actions and that he was legally responsible for the murders. Ultimately, Berkowitz pleaded guilty and was sentenced to prison for six consecutive life sentences, which he is currently serving.

The aftermath of the Son of Sam case also had a significant impact on the city of New York and the nation as a whole. It brought attention to the issue of crime and the need for better methods of detecting and apprehending criminals. It also served as a reminder of the importance of being vigilant and aware of one's surroundings in order to stay safe.

The case had a significant impact on the media and how they covered crime stories. The intense coverage of the case led to criticism of the media for sensationalizing the murders and for creating fear and panic in the community. It also led to a debate about the ethics of the media in covering crime stories and the responsibility of the media to report on such stories in a responsible and sensitive manner.

Update 2023

Berkowitz is entitled to a parole hearing every two years as mandated by New York law. However, he has continued to refuse to ask for his release, even going so far as to skip the hearings altogether. In 2002, Berkowitz sent a letter to New York Governor George Pataki demanding that his hearing be canceled. He said:

"In all honesty, I believe that I deserve to be in prison for the rest of my life. I have, with God's help, long ago come to terms with my situation and I have accepted my punishment."

Berkowitz has claimed to have improved himself behind bars and said he feels he's no longer a risk. Prison staff even consider Berkowitz a model prisoner. His most recent parole hearing was scheduled in 2020, but it was indefinitely delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.